Self Censoring

Just a quick one to be going on with. In fact it’s that quick I think the lines I write about it being a quick one will actually take up more space on this entry than the actual entry.

If you write about things on your blog that maybe you are not sure about your players seeing how do you deal with it? I’m not talking about gossiping about them but instead talking about aspects of the game they shouldn’t know or maybe even your concerns about how well your GMing is going? I knew one of my players read this blog but it turns out they all do and now I’m second guessing any post I start writing that might be about upcoming games.

OK so it wasn’t shorter than the gumph I wrote at the start but it’s certainly a short one!

1. Stargazer says:

Hmm, I wish my players would read and comment my blog. :(

But back to the topic: I would just continue to blog as if nothing has happened. Ok, perhaps you should be careful not to spoil all the secrets of your campaign, but why shouldn’t your players not read about your concerns about your GMing? They probably don’t think you are a god-like being that makes no mistakes.
    You can also just add spoiler warnings and ask your players not to read those posts. Just my 2 pieces of gold.

I don’t know. I think I worry about my players thinking more about my worries about a campaign rather than the campaign when we are playing it. The chances of them actually doing that though are slim.

I worry about a lot of things :)

3. Tomcat1066 says:

Depending on your players, I wouldn’t post anything about upcoming sessions/campaigns that you may run, but that’s about all I wouldn’t post. They were apparently reading before you realized it, and no harm has come, has it? You could also have some fun with misdirection, talk about thinks you’d like to do, then do something you don’t post, just for fun :)

At least one person from my group reads and comments on my blog. I have a rule I made and told him about (especially since he’s the DM at the moment). Any post I intend to make that discusses him in anything approaching a negative manner will be discussed with him at least 24 hours ahead of time. I don’t see it happening, but it could. And, if it does happen, he won’t be caught off guard about anything and we can have a chance to discuss it first. I don’t know how it will work out in practice, but it can’t hurt to be upfront about it.

As for discussing your concerns about your GMing, just do it. Your players may comment and tell you you’re sweating something non-existent, or they could have valuable suggestions for you. They may also not say anything, which doesn’t mean anything one way or another. I just don’t think it’s worth getting worked up about.

4. Joshua says:

How about just posting any sensitive information “below the fold” (assuming your blog software allows it) with a warning in the post for your players not to read below the fold on pain of being exposed to spoilers?

5. Don’t post any spoiler material…simple as that…I tuck away posts that I want to go up eventually when they’ve got reveals of things that have yet to play out in game…you can certainly discuss your DM prep tactics and stresses here on ze blog, but save the sensitive information till later…

I personally love sharing my creations with the blogosphere, but since my players read my stuff, I’ve got to keep things on the down low for awhile…

Reverend Mikes last blog post..The LHC Was Built By Mad Supergeniuses!

I think I’ll have to just leave out the spoilerific stuff until after the time. It’s rare that I get a good hook that the players can get their teeth into so I never want to spoil it when I do.

7. Ravyn says:

My players are (at least theoretically) the core of my audience, so I don’t post spoilers, per se; I wait until after the plot point has run. (And they wonder why I haven’t done a riff on mysteries yet!) I am, however, rather fond of posting things that play up things my players have missed, in hopes of getting them intrigued enough to actually look into the matter further. Fact about being the kind of GM who likes sneaking little detail-rewards into just about everything, I suppose.

Ravyns last blog post..Homebrew – Seeing Stars

8. I don’t particularly mind if my players read my blog, since it helps them understand my side of the table as well. Ever since they’ve started reading they’ve gained just a touch more respect for the planning that goes into each game, and they’ve slowly become aligned to the campaign concept and what we generally want out of it.

Communication is fine, and while I do advise holding back on key plot points, general stuff like talking about how you feel your player characters could be motivated in game might prompt them to give you feedback you could use to improve your game.

Pointyman2000s last blog post..3rd World Gaming: DIY Dice Tray (and future topics?)