Blog Carnival – Round 4 – Religion

Thanks to Philippe-Antoine over at The Chatty DM for running last months Carnival.

RPG Blog Carnival Logo

So on to this months topic and it’s that old bugbear again. I had another topic in mind that I was going to use but after careful consideration and the realisation that almost everyone that took part in the carnival would be effectively writing the exact same post I scrapped it. I struggled for a bit until a shining light hit me in the face as I was reading some old posts on Wil Wheaton’s blog about how he found someone to play D&D with at his school.

We’ve been round the blog/block many times on the subject with regards to how taboo your local church thought it was or how cool the local minister actually found it to be so what I’m pitching is the subject of religion in the game. That is of course unless you have a story thats fit’s into the first section that hasn’t been told before.

What I’m thinking about is how WotC have revamped The Forgotten Realms and reshuffled their gods about or how far you take religion in-game. There’s many different ways to look at this one that instead of having it as a stand alone post on The Dice Bag I thought I’d throw it open to you good people to give your views on it as well.

The RPG Blog Carnival started with Johnathan over at The Core Mechanic

Then Donny the DM took took over with a new topic

And then it moved on to The Chatty DM (I’ll add the link to his roundup when he gets round to posting one)

So how does the carnival work you ask? The rules are very simple. All you do is post about it, leave a link back to here in your post and write a comment right after on this post. Once the month is up I’ll write up a roundup post of everyone thats took part in the carnival.

Can’t say fairer than that now can we?

In a few days time one, once I get a little free time from Nanowrimo I’ll get my own post up on the topic.

1. jonathan says:

I’m soooo stoked that this carnival still has a lotta steam in it. Wohoo! Keep on trucking. Hopefully this month I’ll get off my arse and contribute again (I missed #2 and #3)

jonathans last blog post..[4E] Magic Halloween Candy

2. Andre Vienne says:

I have one, hot off of the press when I should’ve been writing my NaNo novel. It’s probably slightly off-topic. <.< I might write a different one later and replace it, if it’s too incoherent. I’m not much for error or coherence checking at the moment.

Andre Viennes last blog post..Religion in Gaming (or: How To Dodge Mythology Guy)

3. Vampir says:

Yeah, November isn’t the best time for the carnival, not with all those people writing their novels…

4. Andre Vienne says:

Not the best time, but some people will try. Since I managed to get up to speed with writing random stuff beforehand, the transition to novel is fairly painless. But, yeah, I have a feeling that this one might be a little sparse.

@Jonathan – well theres a few more folk lined up to take a shot at it at least :)

@Andre – Nice one/ Nothing stopping you putting more than one post into the carnival remember. The more the merrier!

@Questing GM – Get that thinking cap on!

@Vampyr & Andre – Wether it’s quiet or not if the carnivals to continue then we need to keep going with it. And if I can take the time to write this post out of my nanowrimo schedule then anyone can take a spare 10 minutes to write something thats not their novel for a wee break.

6. Andre Vienne says:

Here’s my second one. I think that’s all I’ve got in me on this subject unless I can remember an old friend’s method, but I likely won’t.

This one seems slightly more coherent than the last one.

Andre Viennes last blog post..Religion In Gaiming 2 (or: How to run with Pat Robertson in your group without causing a stir.)

7. Tony Law says:

I thought I’d poke a little fun with this one. ;)

Tony Laws last blog post..It’s my fault Black Leaf died!

8. Jonathan says:

I suppose these two posts qualify as posts about religion from 20 years ago… but later this month I’ll be contributing a third (original) work as well.

THE CRS’TCHEN Debacle…

REAL-LIFE CLERICS: TSR HOBBIES needs you

Jonathans last blog post..VOTE FOR ROLEPLAYING GAMES!!! WIN A FREE BOOK!!!

9. Wyatt says:

Here is my contribution:

It’s my first time participating in one of these, so I don’t know if I did it right. Or if I overdid it right. Or if I overdid it wrong. But y’know, there it is.

Wyatts last blog post..Monsters Of Eden: Heroic Tier

10. Joe says:

Here’s my first crack at this topic:

But I’ve got plenty of other ideas for this topic… Time permitting I’ll write again.

Joes last blog post..Flavoring a Game World with Religion

11. Ravyn says:

I’m not sure if this one quite qualifies, but you might find it useful; I plan on delivering plenty more over the course of this month.

Ravyns last blog post..Superstition in a Fantasy World

And some people thought it would be a slow month!

Theres some nice posts there from what I’ve seen so far. I’m having trouble with my ISP just now but a new modem should be with us for Wednesday. Browsing on my mobile is no fun and I’ve got a 256 char limit on anything I type :(

13. Vampir says:

@Bob

I’m glad to be proven wrong :D

@Vampir So am I. I really did think this might just be a filler month :)

15. Zachary says:

Here’s my part. I took a look at how I mix monotheism with polytheism and other forms of religion in my homebrew campaign setting:

Zacharys last blog post..OK, Let’s Talk Game Balance

16. jonathan says:

GREAT job everyone for pitching in!!! Holy Cudgels of Cuthbert Batman!

I’ve also started to write about related topics – I think ‘clerics’ qualify for this carnival, yes?

jonathans last blog post..RPG Blogging – An analysis

17. d7 says:

My contribution takes a look at some of the by-turns hilarious and frightening anti-D&D Christian propaganda from the 80s: The B.A.D.D. Files, part 1.

I’ve got a few more deliciously terrifying “D&D is satanic!” text files from back then that I’ll be posting later this month.

d7s last blog post..The B.A.D.D. Files, part 1

18. Of Men & Gods – Why D&D Gods Make No Sense

Chris Tregenzas last blog post..Of Men and Gods

19. d7 says:

Here’s by second entry for the religion Carnival: Three ways to give depth to your game’s religions. I think that more game religions could use a look at the tenets of the faith and the holy writings they’re based on, so I’ve given some thoughts on how to add those.

d7s last blog post..Three ways to give depth to your game’s religions

20. Stargazer says:

Here’s my entry to this month’s blog carnival: “Monotheistic religions in roleplaying” (http://tinyurl.com/57vprc)

21. Ravyn says:

And here’s another one–I’m sure there will be more, since one of my readers just out and requested riffs on religion in fiction as a whole. I sent him your way for now, of course.

Anyway, http://exchangeofrealities.today.com/2008/11/17/color-in-the-pews/

Ravyns last blog post..Color in the Pews

I can see I’m going to be a bit busy writing the round up for this one :)

Thankfully my new laptop should be arriving next week so I’ll actually have a PC to write it up on ;)

23. jonathan says:

Well — my series “The New Cleric is the Old Cleric” is finally done.

Part 1
    Part 2
    Part 3
    Part 4
    Part 5

enjoy! I’m glad to finally be a part of the carnival again!

jonathans last blog post..The New Cleric is the Old Cleric (Part 5)

24. Ravyn says:

I suppose now is the wrong time to tell you that I just got an idea that’s going to have me doing gods and religion (but not both at once) for the next few weeks.

To make your life easier, I’ll wait and give you the list all at once either when I’m finished or at the end of the month, so you don’t have to go through a whole bunch of comments. I’ve already missed two days of links anyway…

Ravyns last blog post..On the Creation of Gods

@Ravyn – Don’t worry about that. I like watching my comment count climb ;)

26. NiTessine says:

Cutting it a bit close to the deadline, but here’s my contribution: http://nitessine.wordpress.com/2008/11/29/rpg-blog-carnival-religion/

NiTessines last blog post..RPG Blog Carnival: Religion

27. Questing GM says:

Here’s my contribution for this blog carnival. Not much as I hoped but…

Questing GMs last blog post..Word of Wizards – 29/11/08

Rayvn – Your just trying to give me RSI and a heart attack aren’t you?

Nitessine, LooNook, Questing GM – Thanks for those.

MJ Harnish – Your posts did get eaten by my spam filter unfortunately but I rescued one of them. The month that I removed moderation from my comments and half the comments on this post end up in my spam filter. Hopefully it will earn only to eat the bad things :)

29. Sam Tables says:

Can we get an update on the blog carnival?
    .-= Sam Tables´s last blog ..Lift and Tilt Table =-.

It only runs for a month on each blog.

The latest news on who’s running that particular month as well as roundups of the previous carnivals can be found here.

31. Sam Tables says:

Thanks Bob!
    .-= Sam Tables´s last blog ..Lift and Tilt Table =-.